We will be discussing three types of operating systems (Apple iOS, Google Android, and Microsoft Windows). When purchasing a tablet, there is so much information to absorb. It is hard to make a decision on which is best to fit your needs. Each operating system has their strengths and weaknesses. You may also want to consider purchasing one that’s compatible with your smartphone.
Let’s breakdown each one…
- Very popular and runs on Apple’s own operating system (iOS).
- Two screen sizes available (9.7 inch and 7.9 inch).
- Over a half million apps to choose from.
- Well suited for personal use and can be used by businesses who need a light-duty mobile computer.
- Easy to learn.
- Operating system is exclusive to Apple products.
- Prices range from $450.00 to $600.00, higher than some other offerings.
- Not easily synchronized with Windows systems without Windows Exchange.
- No USB port.
- Can run on most manufacturer’s tablets (Samsung, Motorola, Sony, etc.) giving consumers a wider selection.
- Screen sizes range from 6 to 12 inches with prices starting around $200.00 making them the most affordable tablets on the market.
- Good selection of apps available.
- Suited for people who travel and have access to email and the Internet, and for light business users.
- Heavier than other tablets
- Android runs on open source coding making the tablet more vulnerable to viruses.
- Not all brands run the same operating system versions making which can create app compatibility issues with smartphones.
Windows (Pro & RT)
- Runs a full version of Window 8 (Including MS Office 365 software).
- Built in kick stand that enables the tablet to stand upright.
- Built in USB port.
- Wide display screen.
- Battery life up to 10 hours.
- Prices start around $899.00.
- Heavier than other tablets due to kickstand or optional keyboard selection.
- Does not 3G or 4G connection availability (only available on Surface Pro 2).
- Comes with Windows 8 installed with limited features.
- Includes MS Office software 365 apps.
- Built-in kickstand.
- Clip on keyboard for touch or type keyboard cover.
- USB port available.
- Excellent battery life (up to 10 hours).
- Does not run Windows 7
- Does not run legacy software.
- Slightly heavier than other tablets.
- No built in 3G or 4G connectivity.
- No built n GPS sensor.
Please feel free to forward this information to others. If you would like to learn more on this topic or would like to request an area of technology you are interested in, please contact me.
Until next time…Happy Computing!!!
I have worked is various positions as a system administrator, support technician, as a help desk support, and as an IT consultant in a corporate environment. I currently run a small business where I provide computer services such as hardware configuration, installation, for residential and for medium and small businesses. You can contact me by email or visit my website at https://www.mdsystemsolutions.com.
No comments yet.