Email Security…What is it, how to recognize it, and what measures to take to prevent viruses and spam from infecting your computer.
Viruses and spam are often spread through emails. You can reduce spam and viruses by following these simple tips.
Email practices to avoid viruses spreading to your computer.
- Keep your anti-virus software running and up-to-date.
- Never open attachments that look like spam from someone you don’t know.
- If using Outlook, turn off the preview pane and set some rules to filter spam emails.
- Use caution when opening emails, even if it is from someone you know.
- Never forward chain messages, which often reveal a colleague’s email address to other parties.
Email practices to help reduce email spam.
- Always keep your primary email address confidential. Treat your address as you would with your home address and phone number.
- Encourage your friends to take the same precautions that you do. If you receive an email from one of your friends, in your inbox it could have a virus attached to it.
- Use a secondary email address to give to a business or individuals you don’t trust.
- NEVER post your email address on a webpage that is viewed by the public or allow anyone else to post your address.
- Look for certain spam words in the subject line(Affordable, Apply Now, Additional Income\Extra Income, Dear Friend, Free, Home Based/Work From Home, Mortgage Rates, Opportunity, Save $, and Weight Loss). There are others so it’s important to identify what words don’t look right.
- When giving your email address to a webmaster, always read the fine print to see whether they would share your private information with a third party.
Please feel free to forward this information to others. If you would like to learn more on this topic or would like to request an area of technology you are interested in, please contact me.
This will be my last newsletter published in 2013. The next edition will on January 6th. I wish all of you Happy Holidays and a prosperous New Year.
Until next time…Happy Computing!!!
I have worked is various positions as a system administrator, support technician, as a help desk support, and as an IT consultant in a corporate environment. I currently run a small business where I provide computer services such as hardware configuration, installation, for residential and for medium and small businesses. You can contact me by email or visit my website at https://www.mdsystemsolutions.com.